Connect with us

Housing

LASG, MRA AGREE ON REVIEW OF MAGODO RESIDENTIAL SCHEME II PLAN

Published

on

  • Engages Stakeholders for cooperation

The Lagos State Government and the Magodo Residents Association have reached common grounds on contents of the review of Magodo Residential Scheme II Plan.

After several meetings, the two sides finally agreed to leave the estate as residential with no mixed developments, while those who had converted their uses would be made to revert to stausqou ante.

It was also agreed among others that no development would be tolerated on Magodo wetlands, CMD road would remain mixed use, while the other side of CMD road would be recovered as buffer zone for the Expressway.

Speaking at the Stakeholders’ meeting at the Magodo Community Hall on Friday, the Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Dr. Idris Salako said that the review of the plan of the medium residential estate was important as it bordered on sustainability of the well-planned residential area for the benefit of all and sundry.

READ  Celebrating Fashola at 57: The ‘BRF Way’ by Hakeem Bello

He recalled that the Lagos State Government, as part of its intervention of bridging the housing gap in the State, had created the Magodo Residential Schemes, strictly as medium residential estates, through the New Towns Development Authority (NTDA) which had the mandate to develop residential schemes for different strata of the society.

He says: ” as a Government Scheme, it is a truism that your estate, at inception, had gone through the appropriate planning processes to bequeath a serene, orderly, organised and sustainable environment”

He added that standard partial and sectoral considerations had equally been made, in line with international best practices, while provisions had been made for all necessary services.

Salako decried the unapproved change of the estate plan by residents who had unilaterally and illegally altered their uses to allow offices, religious houses and commercial activities of different types spring up in areas where they are not designated.

” It is discomfiting how the Government vision of accommodating the elites of the society in an ambient environment is gradually supplanted by an unsalutary culture of arbitrariness, which, if care is not taken, may create planning disorder and throw up slumming challenges” he said.

READ  MAKOKO REDEVELOPMENT: LASG NOT GOING TO UPROOT RESIDENTS

The Commissioner stated that given this background, government must intervene to restore order in line with the planning regulations which stipulates periodic review of estate schemes to meet contemporary needs.

” Given this realisation, the News Town Development Authority has spearheaded a review of the Magodo Residential Scheme II with the sustainability of the estate in mind as the ongoing review is intended to better the lot of residents of scheme and further the realisation of the T.H.E.M.E.S Agenda of the Lagos State Government” he said.

He urged stakeholders to volunteer their contributions to the review process and give their total support towards achieving a desirable outcome.

Also on the Government side were the General Manager, Lagos State Physical Planning Permit Authority, Tpl. funmi Osifuye, General Manager, New Towns Development Authority, Tpl. Kunle Aboyeji and Tpl. Bola Aliu, Director Technical Services, while the MRA BOT Chairman, Chief Owojori, Tpl. Rotimi Abdul, Rev. Akindele and Former Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Tpl. Fransisco Abosede spoke on behalf of the residents.

READ  LEKKI REGIONAL ROAD PROJECT: LASG COMMENCES REMOVAL OF STRUCTURES ON RIGHT OF WAY

Mukaila Sanusi
Assistant Director
Public Affairs
4th December, 2020

Housing

LASG REFUTES SOCIAL MEDIA ALLEGATIONS OF CONDONING PLANNING INFRACTIONS IN OSBORNE FORESHORE AND PEACE VALLEY ESTATE, MAGODO

Published

on

By

The Lagos State Government has unequivocally denied a social media allegation that it was tacitly condoning the violation of Physical Planning laws by some developers in both the Osborne Foreshore Pase II and Peace Valley Estate, Magodo.

The Lagos State Government position was contained in a statement issued by the Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Dr. Idris Salako, in Alausa on Monday.

One Mr. Yacoob Abiodun, who addressed himself as an Urban Planner/ Planning Advocate, had taken to the social media with the allegation that residents of Osborne Foreshore Phase II and Peace Valley Zone, Magodo were crying foul of the activities of some developers “whose development on the two estates violate the extant Operative Development Plans and the Approval Order for the localities”

He also alleged the introduction of new Building Approval Order 2013-2033, sequel to the change of estate’s Master Plan, and wrongful classification and change of the Osborne Foreshore Phase II Approval Order without consultation with residents of the estate.

While expressing his displeasure at the twist of facts by the writer, the Physical Planning Commissioner said that it was important to correct the misinformation peddled in the social media report in order to disabuse the minds of Lagosians by setting the records straight.

READ  MATAWALLE WINS THE SUN NEWSPAPER MAN OF THE YEAR AWARD

Salako retorted that contrary to insinuations, the residents of Osborne Foreshore Phase II had influenced the increase in height of the area from the original 4/5 to 10 floors, while Phase I still remained 4/5 floors.

He explained that the review of the Approval Order for Osborne Foreshore was precipitated by the continuous agitation of the residents as original allottees had brought about increase in height and density of the estate, while the Government came in to ensure a proper review to the benefit of all concerned.

Dismissing the allegation of non-involvement in the review, he stated that the ongoing review process, which was borne out of several consultations and engagements with the resident association, was in line with the extant regulations guiding development planning in the State.

He added that the review could not have been more inclusive, having met and dialogued with residents of the estate for more than ten times, the outcome of which was the Ministry’s encouragement of the residents association to engage a consultant, thereby leading to the engagement of Messrs. MOA Planners to prepare a revised Plan along with the review sent by the Federal Ministry of Works and Housing. The Revised Plan will still be subjected to stakeholders engagement before final Approval.

READ  SANWO-OLU DELIVERS 216 HOMES IN ETI-OSA, SURULERE

” It is therefore disheartening that despite repeated dialogue, the latest of which was held with the Governor of Lagos State, Mr. Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu three weeks ago, the best that the Osborne- Foreshore Residents Association Phase II (OSFRA) could do was to resort to the social media to intimidate and embarrass the Lagos State Government”, he said.

He averred that the writer’s portrayal of the incident at the Peace Valley Zone, Magodo was not less misleading than the entire writeup as it attempted to denigrate gallant officers of the Nigeria Police who were in the estate on lawful assignment; whereas the Police officers were not only professional and diligent but they acted with utmost respect for the rule of law and engagement.

The Commissioner, who, being present at the scene, intervened alongside the former Prelate of the Methodist Church, Pa Sunday Ola Makinde to restore order and get the understanding of the police on the arrest warrant, expressed his dismay at the erroneous social media report which exagerated the incident and glorified some people who claimed to have twarted the arrest of the estate chairman.

READ  I’LL MONITOR ALL CONSTITUENCY PROJECTS – SENATOR ADEOLA

Salako noted that it had become apparent from the unwarranted social media outbust that some people were out there to take advantage of the social media and information technology for personal ends.

He emphasised that no amount of pressure would compel the government to outsource its responsibility for Physical Planning to groups or individuals while the State Government would continue to protect the built environment and relate to everyone equally, irrespective of status or creed.

Mukaila Sanusi
Assistant Director
Public Affairs
March 1, 2021

Continue Reading

Housing

Lekki Estate Residents List Conditions for Toll Gate Re-opening

Published

on

By

Residents of estates around Lekki, under the aegis of Lekki Estates Residents and Stakeholders Association (LERSA), have given the Lagos State Government and Lekki Concession Company (LCC), managers of the Lekki/Epe Expressway, conditions for the re-opening of the Lekki Toll Gate.

 

These were contained in a press statement issued by the association, comprising over 80 estates and communities, on Sunday. In the statement signed by Olorogun James Emadoye and Mr. Gbemi Adelekan, LERSA President and Secretary-General respectively, the residents asked the state government and managers of the road to provide viable alternative roads to the tolled roads, implement round figure fees at the toll and immediately improve the tolling system technology to guarantee free flow at the toll gates before commencement of tolling.

 

LERSA noted that its members have been victims of insecurity and disruption of movement since the ENDSARS protests of October, which led to the destruction and eventual closure of the toll gate and Saturday’s protest against the order for its reopening.

READ  LASG TO SANCTION HEARING OFFICERS AND DEVELOPERS IN THE STATE.

 

While appealing for restraint among angry youth, LERSA called on the government to allow free expression of discontent in a way that guarantees protection of lives and properties.

 

The association also called on LCC to create an enabling environment for people and businesses along this axis, adding that the experience of road users at the toll plazas on the road before the shutdown was very unpleasant.

 

“Our road experience prior to the October 20thshutdown of the toll gates was that of hardship and suffering, with the long traffic at the toll plazas. A tolled road is supposed to provide a quick, safe and motorable experience, where users will be happy to pay for,” the statement said.

 

It added that the government, through LCC, should realise that toll plazas cannot re-open and operated the way they were before the shutdown.

 

“Without a doubt, we are the only citizens in Nigeria that are forced to pay toll on a road that is less than 25km, completed in 14 years.   With the poor experience and services at the toll plaza, we are actually paying for inconveniences rather than for convenience, as we spend on the average of 20 to 30 minutes to pay. We, therefore, ask for viable alternative roads to the tolled roads, implementation of round figure fees at the toll and immediate improvement of the tolling system technology to guarantee free flow at the toll gates before commencement of tolling,” the statement added

READ  Celebrating Fashola at 57: The ‘BRF Way’ by Hakeem Bello

Continue Reading

Housing

LASG STOPS LAND EXTENSION, RECLAMATION IN BANANA ISLAND,OSBORNE FORESHORE

Published

on

By

The Lagos State Government has issued a suspension order on all approvals in respect of land extensions into the Lagoon at Banana Island and Osborne Foreshore, Ikoyi.

The Government at the weekend, in a statement jointly signed by the Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Dr. Idris Salako and his counterpart in the Ministry of Waterfront Infrastructure Development, Arc. Kabiru Ahmed Abdullahi, stated that it had noticed the increasing and continuing degradation of the Lagos shoreline as a result of indiscriminate illegal dredging, reclamation and land extensions into the Lagos Lagoon.

The statement reads: “of particular concern to the State Government are the extensions being illegally carried out at Banana Island and Osborne Foreshore, Ikoyi”, while it added that such land reclamation and extension activities had resulted in gross violations of the Physical Planning Laws of the State and impinged on the ecosystem of the entire area.

The Commissioners stated further that the indiscriminate illegal proliferation of dredging and reclamation practices had brought about serious distortion in the aesthetics of the shoreline with high potential for causing environmental degradation, which is capable of producing dire consequences if unchecked.

READ  MAKOKO REDEVELOPMENT: LASG NOT GOING TO UPROOT RESIDENTS

The duo declared that: “Government hereby suspends all existing, pending and subsequent approvals in respect of all Land Extensions into the Lagoon at Banana Island and Osborne
Foreshore, Ikoyi”

The Lagos State Government also ordered the immediate cessation of all ongoing works, constructions, reclamations and other similar activities on account of extension approvals granted or being processed at Banana Island and Osborne Foreshore, Ikoyi.

In addition, it urged members of the public to comply forthwith with the Stop Work/ Suspension Orders or risk facing criminal charges and the confiscation of their dredging equipment by the Lagos State Government.

Mukaila Sanusi
Assistant Director Public Affairs
January 31, 2021

Continue Reading

Trending News

Copyright © 2020 Ebony Media Gist

error

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)

RSS
Follow by Email
YouTube
YouTube
LinkedIn
LinkedIn
Share
Instagram0